Monday, June 04, 2007

MIRAGE

shimmering in the blinding sunlight
an image slowly coalesces
floating above the sand
a sensuous maiden
almond of eye
pouting of lip
long and dark her tresses
she is dressed in flowing robes
she holds a tall drinking vessel
a long glass of cool amber-cloured liquid
tiny beads of condensation form
and run down the side
smiling
she gracefully extends her hand
towards my parched lips
i close my eyes
beneath my fevered brow
open my cracked and painful mouth
in readiness to take a greedy gulp of nectar
yet agonisingly none passes my lips
no ambrosia quenches my burning thirst
i open my eyes again abruptly
a blinking albino mole
squinting into the white light
but there is nothing to see
only endless dunes of yellow ochre
stretching away
towards the distant horizon

No comments: